Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Be excellent to each other!

I’ve recently stumbled across another profound idea. You want to hear it, right? Well, I’m going to tell it to you anyway, and it’s this: life is like a box of chocolates. What? You’ve already heard that one? Well, shoot. OK, I’m just playing. Actually, it’s this: life is like a juggler, juggling a box of chocolates. Hmm, how about ten boxes of chocolates? … Never mind, let’s just step away from chocolates.

Let’s just go with this: we’re university students, and we juggle things. These things come in a variety of forms: your mom’s birthday, tests, a night of studying, even your high school girlfriend. And because we’re human, once in a while we drop the things we juggle. And let me tell you, some of the things we juggle hate being dropped (like your professors).

A friend of mine hit me with a piece of wisdom this week that relates to this, and I liked it so much I’m going to share it with you (maybe you’ve heard of it). She said, “You can make everyone happy some of the time and you can make some of the people happy all of the time, but you can’t make everyone happy all of the time.”

Why can’t we make everyone happy all the time? Dang it! What’s wrong with us? Sometimes … sometimes I just wish people were more excellent to each other.

Maybe then there wouldn’t be any mean people.

No comments: