Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Stranger Danger


I’ve recently stumbled upon one of the most useful websites I believe cyberspace has to offer — Craigslist. Now, you’re probably thinking, “Oh, come on, Brendan. Hop on the bandwagon. I’ve been using Craigslist for years!” Well, I haven’t. And let me tell you, I like it. Its simplicity and expediency rival that of In-N-Out Burger (yet another divine innovation). I used to think the whole concept of Craigslist was loony. I mean, looking around at classified advertisements online, then contacting the seller, and later, even meeting up with him or her to seal the deal — isn’t that just a little strange? Well, as I paced around my sorry-excuse-of-a-house (perhaps better aptly described as a man cave), materialism finally got the better of me. Looking at the furniture section on Craigslist in the Tri-Cities location, I spied the sale of a century: a full-sized wooden dining table along with three chairs for a mere twenty-five dollars. I wrote down the contact number and quickly reached for my phone. After a few awkward text messages, I was out the door and on my way.

I soon realized that finding a house I’d never been to in the dark was going to pose a challenge. Even with the address plugged into Debra, my talking GPS, none of the surrounding houses were matching up with the supposed destination. This actually didn’t come as a surprise; the vixen Debra had lied to me in the past on more than one occasion. Throwing my hands in the air, I dialed the seller’s number. After a rather awkward phone conversation, I was led to the right house. Unfortunately, I forgot what apartment she was in, so I had to knock on a few random doors before I came to the right one (I was too embarrassed to call her back, and yes, I know I don’t make sense sometimes – I blame it on Debra). To make a long story short, I finally got the table. So, the thing I want to leave you with is this: conquer the world. Use Craigslist. Meet people you don’t know. From my experience, good things can come from this, like really cheap furniture.

No comments: