Saturday, December 13, 2008

Oh Where, Oh Where Have the Microwaves Gone?

Oh where, oh where can they be???
I don't know. If there was a materialistic thing I am missing the most while I'm here in South America, it is without a doubt the microwave. The shortage of microwaves in South America is profound. I could probably count all the microwaves I've seen on my right hand--even if I only had two fingers. It really boils down to one bottom line: domestic appliances are expensive in South America. Down here people steal blenders and fans--not car radios and computers. I've told my roommates about the popularity of the microwave in the United States. I tell them how they've made our lives easy and our frames fat. Then their eyes get really big when I tell them how just about every guy in Sitner Hall at Walla Walla has a fridge and a microwave sitting in their dorm room.

True much of the food down here isn't cooked by microwaves. Therefore there's no demand for them. But I have a weakness for microwave popcorn and instant just-add-water meals. So I want one. Bad.

My consumeristic American side is getting the better of me.

2 comments:

karlan said...

Hey there is one microwave that we use to use to do popcorn and stuff in CEAPE, and the other one was in the hospital, i think on the front desk in the drug rehab part. that would be two fingers i guess.

Ms.Hey said...

Mom and Dad probably won't send you one for Christmas.

But wouldn't it be sweet if they did?

I'll be thinking of you at Christmas little bro. Looks like it'll be me and the parents this year. :( Wish we could spend another one at Dollywood.